Current Openings at System76
System76 is the leading provider of Linux laptops, desktops, and servers. System76 offers health benefits, paid vacation, matching 401k, sabbatical, and an awesome dog-friendly work environment where smart people are free to create.
// Denver, CO
As a System76 Build Technician, you take pride in the product that you ship. You love to build things with your hands and understand that presentation is everything. You’re always on the lookout for ways to improve product quality and the process we use to deliver products. Not only do you have a passion for Open Source but you are excited by the opportunity to contribute by building the World’s first production, open hardware computer.
The people at System76 have a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive. You’ll work with a team that is dedicated to delivering exceptional products for the Open Source community and beyond. Your work will directly impact the quality of products we deliver to customers.
- Building computers - Quality control - Preparing orders for shipment - Troubleshooting - Computer repairs - Return processing - Inventory preparation - Maintaining a perfectly clean and safe work environment - Other duties as assigned
- Must enjoy teamwork, learning, variety, and working with your hands - Understanding that safety is paramount - Hand dexterity and excellent vision (naturally or corrected) is important, as small parts need to be assembled - Color recognition is required to properly connect wire leads - Able to lift, push, pull, and move up to 50 pounds - Able to stand for long periods - Bonus but not required - Experience building desktop computers & servers
To be considered for this position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Platform Engineer
// US Remote
At System76, you’ll play a key role in building and growing the world’s leading Linux computer manufacturer. In the last few years, we’ve built a factory in Denver, CO for manufacturing our computers and peripherals. You’ll help us build the platform that powers it and enables efficient management of resources across receiving, inventory, production, assembly, and accounting. Together with a talented team you’ll leverage the latest technologies to streamline our operations and grow our capabilities as a company.
As Senior Platform Engineer, designing and building systems is your forte. At System76 you’ll own the systems you build from their inception to deployment and beyond. You understand and prioritize delivering features and using data to drive future iterations. Developing new services for receiving and managing inventory, leveling up the assembly line tooling, and enhancing our accounting abilities with third party integrations are just a few of the projects you’ll be helping the team drive forward.
- Design and develop new systems to support our manufacturing and teams.
- Work directly with stakeholders to identify and translate business needs into technical specifications and requirements.
- Integrate third party APIs to consume and deliver data between our systems and trusted third parties.
- Run, manage, and maintain System76’s cloud servers and web apps
- Build out devops tooling to empower team members and other System76 teams.
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- Experience integrating and managing third party API services
- Comfortable working with databases and SQL
- Production experience with deployments using Docker, Terraform, and Ansible
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines, bonus points for GitHub Actions experience
- Previous work with event-based and asynchronous architecture is a plus
We believe in open source at System76 and much of what we build is available on GitHub. If you’re passionate about open source and the prospect of building enterprise systems as open source excites you then we’d love to hear from you!
To be considered for this position, send your resume and links to any source code you have online to email@example.com.
Quality Assurance Engineer
// Denver, CO
The people at System76 have a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive. The System76 team is one that is dedicated to delivering exceptional products and an unparalleled customer experience. Your work will directly contribute to the quality of products we deliver to customers.
As the perfect candidate, you love to tinker. You love both hardware and software. You are passionate about Linux. You run beta versions of applications and file bug reports when they have issues. You spend your free time learning about the latest tech and trying to get your hands on it. You know the code name of Intel’s next micro-architecture or die-shrink. (And you probably know NVIDIA’s microarchitecture code names as well). You know what happens when you start pushing memory too far. You’ve probably bricked a system. Hopefully you un-bricked it afterwards. You LOVE benchmarking — 3rd party reviews aren’t enough, you want to see results for yourself. Details matter and you don’t take shortcuts. If this sounds like you, what are you waiting for? Apply already!
- Help set and maintain quality standards for Pop!_OS releases
- Thoroughly test unreleased products as they move through the development process
- Refine test processes to improve test coverage, code quality, and testing efficiency
- Stop bugs from reaching production
- Benchmark machines and components for product viability
- Investigate issues reported by users and customers
- Test new code for functionality and regressions
- Report product testing findings
- Create high quality bug reports and shepherd them through to resolution
- Communicate high-priority bugs within appropriate channels
Other duties as assigned
Required skills and experience:
- Highest standards of ethics and morals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Linux know-how and passion
- Deep knowledge of computer components
- Familiarity with version control
- Experience with benchmarking tools and result analysis
- Highly organized with impeccable attention to detail
- Passion and a desire to learn
To be considered for this position, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org